Wednesday 26 March 2014

#12 (The Searchers) & #11 (City Lights)

#12 - The Searchers

Alright, so this made a big jump over the last decade in AFI's Top 100. The previous ranking was in the high 90's and now it jumps all the way to 12th. This is often seen as the best Western ever made and I can see why.

The one thing that hasn't been on this list much are Westerns. There are three. The exact same number of SILENT FILMS. Are you kidding me?

Well the good news is that The Duke is in this one, and he's not screwing around. While the other two Westerns have a combined total of 12 gun shots, this is infinitely more violent. The way a good Western should be!

And it's plain and simple, Cowboys vs Indians. John Wayne just walks around being hardcore the entire film, hates Indians. Which is good because Indians steal his niece and kill his brother. Do not! I repeat DO NOT ever piss off the Duke.

Anyways, it takes years for them to ever find her - and when they do the Duke has his way with the Indian Comanche chief. Throw in a little Stockholm Syndrome on the girls part, but what are you going to do - stay in the teepee when the Duke scalps your Indian husband? I wouldn't.

Oddly enough this movie wasn't even nominated for any Academy Awards, despite having some amazing cinematography and one of the most iconic final scenes ever. And this movie is to be said to be one of Martin Scorsese's favorites, and inspired the final episode of Breaking Bad - according to Vince Gilligan. I'm still trying to piece that together.

You want a Western? You got a Western, care of John Wayne. The way it should be.


#11 - City Lights

Well well well. The final silent film. This time a Charlie Chaplin one.

Veto.

Hey, I had one left and my schedule is getting tight. If you've stayed up to date on this blog then you know I'm just not a huge fan of silent films. This one looked ok but after 10 minutes I thought - I could be doing better things here.

I read the synopsis online and it just really looked like too much to really care about in 87 minutes....with no sound. But, if you're so inclined I hear it's one of the best silent films ever. But there's 47 others on this list that I'd recommend first.

On to the Top TEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment