Friday 28 March 2014

#7 Lawrence of Arabia

So.





This movie suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.


Sorry.

It's an epic, that's for sure. 3 hours 36 minutes....of sand. Of creepy Peter O'Toole. Of a black faced Alec Guinness. Did I mention creepy Peter O'Toole? I don't know how I'd feel if someone other than Peter O'Toole played the role of T.E. Lawrence, but he's just....different. I felt like I was watching a Hipster Arabian Prince. Every phrase out of his mouth, no matter how menial and banal sounded philosophical.

Honestly.

I just don't understand the appeal of this movie. The cinematography is impressive, no doubt. Some of the action sequences are great too, for the time. But Peter O'Toole, while good I guess is just laaaaaaaaaaame. And knowing Peter O'Toole, I'm going to chalk this up to just a terrible character. T.E. Lawrence just sounds like a pretentious air head. Maybe this role would've been better with Ashton Kutcher playing the lead.

I don't know what else to say. This movie is probably in my bottom 10 and it feels so strange. Maybe I watched it at the wrong time of the day, maybe in a weird mood, I don't know. But I just can't see myself watching this again, and even if I did I can't see myself grading this movie higher.

Some loser Brit soldier in WW 1 goes to the Arabian desert to 'help' with the Arabian uprising/war effort. Can they become a democratic society? Who knows! It really is a bit timely in the 21st century, but I still think you could have made this movie 2 hours. And a lot less shitty.

3.5 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SHOOT ME!!!! This is an artists recreation of me (on the right...slightly tanned) trying to decipher/watch this flick. Da fuk?!?!




No comments:

Post a Comment